Layoffs at PGP

Martin Janzen janzen at idacom.hp.com
Thu May 1 16:53:34 PDT 1997

Well, PGP spokesman Mike Nelson wins the award for the Freudian slip of
the day:

    "Internet Fast-Forward is not as closely related to the tools we
    develop for individuals for privacy," he said. And the fact that
    Fast-Forward filters ads which are an "inimical part of some of the
                                           ^^^^^^^^
    emerging Web commerce models ... we don't want to hinder this
    development."

The http://c.gp.cs.cmu.edu:5103/prog/webster server says:

    Inimical \In*im"i*cal\ (?; 277), a. [L. inimicalis, fr. inimicus
    unfriendly, hostile; pref. in- not + amicus friendly. See Amity.]

    1. Having the disposition or temper of an enemy; unfriendly;
    unfavorable; -- chiefly applied to private, as hostile is to public,
    enmity.

    2. Opposed in tendency, influence, or effects; antagonistic;
    inconsistent; incompatible; adverse; repugnant.

    We are at war with a system, which, by its essence, is inimical to
    all other governments. --Burke.

Perhaps he meant "intrinsic", or "integral" -- although I rather like
the version with the typo myself...  :-)

MJ