SAFE Bill is a Disaster--"Use a cipher, go to prison"

Tim May tcmay at got.net
Thu May 1 13:17:31 PDT 1997

At 11:43 AM -0800 5/1/97, William H. Geiger III wrote:

>It is my understanding that not only is the above true but the financing of
>the development of crypto off-shore is also made illegal by the new
>restrictions. So if C2Net were to hire an independent foreign co. to
>develop their international version it would be in volation of the current
>regs even if no code was exported.

Yes, that's what the language said when the ITARs got switched over to EARs
and Commerce took over.

I have no idea how Sameer's C2Net finances the offshore development of
Stronghold development, etc., but it's possible the Administration could
decide to make an example of them.

The gist of the laws is that "loopholes" are being closed down one by one.

--Tim May