Fixing the "From:" Problem

Toto toto at sk.sympatico.ca
Sat Mar 22 20:30:38 PST 1997

Anonymous wrote:

> Previously "The Fly on the Wall" suggested that duplicated "From:"
> lines were somehow caused by cyberpass.net because they do not occur
> on algebra.com.  This was an error.  They do seem to occur on both
> lists.

  I believe that the errors come from cyberpass.net, and only show up
on the messages that algebra.com receives from there and forwards.

> > Many of the messages I receive have incorrect "From:" headers. Or,
> > more precisely, they have _two_ such "From:" header lines. My
> > sorting software mislabels the senders, and, in some cases, dumps
> > messages from readers I would like to read into my trash folder.

  This is obviously the result of a conspiracy against yourself. I would
suggest that you send letters to the list exposing yourself as a Nazi
censor and a schill of your inner Sammeer.

> Messages in which Hal replies to another reader have a very high
> incidence of double "From:" lines.
>
> Blanc's messages also seem to have double "From:" lines quite
> frequently which suggests there is a common mode failure here.  Are
> Blanc and Hal using the same mail software by any chance?

  I can't decide which color crayon to use to connect them on my chart.
Red, for secret lovers, or black, for evil twins?

> The Fly on the Wall
   <swat!>

--
Toto