Cypherpunks & Ecash in WSJ, Chaum,and Amazing Revelation by NSA

Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM dlv at bwalk.dm.com
Sat Mar 22 01:00:53 PST 1997

Hal Finney <hal at rain.org> writes:
> In my travels around the web, I find that First Virtual is being
> relatively successful for small amounts like shareware fees.  It is
> easy to get started with FV; you fill out their web page and make a call
> to their 800 number with your credit card info.  You're ready to go in
> a few minutes.  I'm sure there are a lot more people buying things with
> FV than with Digicash.

I just had an idea for an interesting demo project. Perhaps someone
wants to take it up and to put a spin on it to promote privacy/cryptography.

Most (perhaps all) states' motor vehicle departments allow you to connect
to their computer (usually via a modem) and map licence plate numbers into
names/addresses.  Typically you must first set up an account and pay, e.g.,
$200, and then something like $4 is deducted from the account for each
query. Obviously, only someone who performs a lot of queries (like a p.i.
or a lawyer) would set up an account.

It occurred to me that it might be "interesting" for someone to set up
accounts with all the states that have this service; and to establish a
Web site that would do quantity 1 queries for a reasonable fee, like $FV10.

I recall that someone got hold of the Washington State database and
operated such a service for free for a few days as a demo.

---

Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM