BXA on Crypto Plans

John Young jya at pipeline.com
Fri Mar 21 05:50:00 PST 1997

Excerpt of BXA head William Reinsch statement on Goodlatte's
SAFEncryption Bill HR 695 on March 20, 1997:

The Administration has stated on numerous occasions that we
do not support mandatory key escrow and key recovery. Our
objective is to enable the development and establishment of
a voluntary key management system for public-key based
encryption. We believe the Administration's policy is
succeeding in bringing key recovery products to the
marketplace. Our attention is now turning toward how we can
best facilitate the development of the key management
infrastructure that will support those products. To that end,
we will shortly submit legislation intended to do the following:

  Expressly confirm the freedom of domestic users to choose any
  type or strength of encryption.

  Explicitly state that participation in the key management
  infrastructure is voluntary.

  Set forth legal conditions for the release of recovery
  information to law enforcement officials pursuant to lawful
  authority and provides liability protection for key recovery
  agents who have properly released such information.

  Criminalizes the misuse of keys and the use of encryption to
  further a crime.

  Offers, on a voluntary basis, firms that are in the business
  of providing public cryptography keys the opportunity to
  obtain government recognition, allowing them to market the
  trustworthiness implied by government approval.

Full statement: http://jya.com/bxahr695.htm