Market Failures, Monocultures, and Dead Kids (Oh My!)

Blanc Weber blancw at MICROSOFT.com
Tue Mar 18 10:09:41 PST 1997

From:	Declan McCullagh

	The short answer, perhaps, is that government should as a
general rule
	adopt those policies that allow the greatest freedom over the
long term.
	Private social pressure from families and communities may then
develop
into a more powerful force.

There are limits to what can be accomplished through government.
'Government' is a coercive medium for effecting results; if everything
could be accomplished by coercion, then it would rightly be expected
that everything (everyone) should be always to be subject to coercion in
order to have a smoothly running social machine.

But if everything (all the benefits that people expect from social
arrangements) could be accomplished by coercion, we wouldn't be the kind
of life forms that we are.   We would be the equivalent of "technology",
subject to someone (else's) latest algorithmic program.

Certainly under such an arrangement there would be no need for privacy.

   ..
Blanc