Wassenaar Arrangement and "sensitive dual-use items"

Declan McCullagh declan at well.com
Mon Mar 10 12:29:16 PST 1997

I got a copy of what I thought was the Arrangement this morning from a
source within the State Department.

It's 16 pages, with five appendices and a few pages of explanatory materials.

One of my favorite parts, sure to fuel cypherparanoia: "IX.
Confidentiality. Information exchanged will remain confidential and will be
treated asd privileged diplomatic communications. This confidentiality will
extend to any use made of the information and any discussion among
Participating states."

However, my copy seems to be much shorter than the one Hayashi has an
excerpt of, and one of the appendices -- the last one, Appendix 5 -- is
empty. That's the one entitled "List of Dual-Use Goods and Technologies."

Crypto is not mentioned anywhere by name in this document. Rather, the code
phrase seems to be "sensitive dual-use items" that could be "a cause for
serious concern to the Participating States."

-Declan

At 5:21 AM +0900 3/10/97, Hayashi_Tsuyoshi wrote:
>Now I uploaded a short short memo of CATEGORY 5 PATR 2 of
>the Wassenaar Arrangement.
>
>  http://www.barrier-free.co.jp/a2z/c/
>    CRYPTON/box1997/19970310-1-wassenaar-cat5.2.html
>
>If someone know (have) full text, please tell me.
>
># To: Mr. John Young:
># If your are OK, please add this to your crypto-concerned
># lib. and redistribute on your web page.  Thanks.
>
>///hayashi
>
>P.S.
>Sorry for my delay job.

Time Inc.