Has your privacy been invaded? Protected? Both?

Declan McCullagh declan at well.com
Mon Jun 30 18:05:24 PDT 1997

We hear a lot of steamy rhetoric about privacy and the information age, but
few real-world examples. I'm working on a story now for Time about just
this: what's happening to individual privacy today.

Does the Net make us more exposed -- DejaNews and 411-type databases -- or
does it provide us with more privacy through tools like anonymous remailers
and pseudonymous identities? Can we trust the government to protect our
privacy when it works tirelessly to invade it?

Much has been written about this. What I'm looking for now are examples.
Have you used an anonymous remailer to cloak your identity, or been flamed
through one? Have you been denied a transaction at a store because you
refused to identify yourself? Have you hunted through databases to find
someone important? Has sensitive information about you turned up in one?

I'd appreciate hearing some stories...

Thanks all,

Declan

Declan McCullagh