Sources for stego images

Kent Crispin kent at songbird.com
Sat Jun 28 09:57:52 PDT 1997

On Mon, Jun 23, 1997 at 11:38:25PM -0700, Bill Stewart wrote:
> ..
> >Or, set up your own webcam "to watch your coffee pot twice a minute" or
> >something. Merge the crypto stream through the gifs after tweaking the
> >brightness and contrast to avoid 0 and 255 (a light fixture with a pattern
> >of 254/255 values gets suspicious, and is not from thermal noise - a
> >"problem" with monochrome quickcams for night photography).
>
> Pictures like coffee pots are likely to have parts that change
> (e.g. the state of the coffee pot) and parts that don't change
> (e.g. the part of the wall that isn't blocked by the pot.)
> This means that it's easy to tell which bits are being messed with,
> if somebody's watching successive pictures.  If the digitization's
> random enough in the low bits, it's a bit better, but a picture of
> something moving helps.  Oceans and fog are great....

Sources of pictures aren't really the problem, though -- it's
developing the widespread habit of people sending references to
pictures along with their email.  For example, if the "cool thing to
do" was to note a link to a favorite photo in your sig (as I have
done, below), then people who were interested in communicating
privately could build up a significant cache of shared pictures.  Code
to automatically compare pictures with the previous version, and
decrypt the embedded messages is no big deal -- the big deal is
getting people to habitually include links to pictures -- or sound
files, or whatever...

--
Kent Crispin				"No reason to get excited",
kent at songbird.com			the thief he kindly spoke...