Top ATM maker signs deal with eye-scanning technology firm

Huge Cajones Remailer nobody at huge.cajones.com
Wed Jun 25 07:01:25 PDT 1997

http://www.techserver.com/newsroom/ntn/info/062497/info25_8064.html

   TRENTON, N.J. (June 24, 1997 9:38 p.m. EDT) -- NCR Corp., the world's
   top maker of automated teller machines, plans to start offering
   machines that identify the user by scanning the eye.

   NCR said Tuesday it teamed with Sensar Inc. to offer a system that
   could eventually replace plastic cards and memorized numbers with a
   more secure system -- cameras that confirm the user's identity by the
   unique patterns in the iris, the colored ring in the eye.

   Besides improving security, executives at Dayton, Ohio-based NCR
   believe the system will make it more practical to use ATMs for selling
   airline tickets, insurance and investments.

   Under the deal, NCR will distribute and service the system for banks
   and other financial institutions around the world, except in Japan,
   where Sensar has a $42 million contract to develop the technology for
   ATMs.

   "We've still got a few kinks we're working out," said Kevin B.
   McQuade, vice president for strategic business development at
   Moorestown-based Sensar, adding that the company expects to begin mass
   production in a year.