Wiener paper (was Re: Comparing Cryptographic Key Sizes)

Tom Weinstein tomw at netscape.com
Tue Jun 24 23:05:06 PDT 1997

Adam Back wrote:

> Re comments that I should re-read the paper, here is what Wiener's
> paper says about estimated costs of a specialized DES key breaker:
>
>  $100,000 for a machine to break DES in an average of  35 hrs
>  $1 mil   for a machine to break DES in an average of 3.5 hrs
>  $10 mil  for a machine to break DES in an average of  21 mins
>
> It was as Peter says published in 1993.
>
> Wiener also budgets for $500,000 in design costs (wages, parts, fab
> etc).
>
> Another interesting part of the design is that it is based on a
> pipelined chip, clocked at 50Mhz which can try 50 Million keys/sec.
>
> 35 hours sounds a reasonable amount of time to break a Swift banking
> transfer key protecting trillions of dollars of funds.

One thing that I haven't heard anybody mention yet is that if time is
important, you can break keys in an arbitrarily short period of time,
if there's a continuous sequence of transactions.  Assume it takes 35
hrs to crack a key (with 50% probability), This means that you have a
1.4% chance to crack it in one hour.  If you give up after an hour and
pick a new transaction to crack, you have a 50% chance of cracking at
least one transaction after 48 hours, and they will all have been
cracked in less than an hour.

--
What is appropriate for the master is not appropriate| Tom Weinstein
for the novice.  You must understand Tao before      | tomw at netscape.com
transcending structure.  -- The Tao of Programming   |