Liberating PGP 5.0 Source Code the Old-Fashioned Way

Tim May tcmay at got.net
Tue Jun 24 11:55:08 PDT 1997

At 10:46 AM -0700 6/24/97, Lucky Green wrote:
>At 02:08 AM 6/24/97 -0700, Mark Grant wrote:
>>It's kind of hard to modify the code when I'm still waiting for the PGP
>>5.0 code to be made available. I can't do a lot until people finish
>>OCR-ing it.
>
>Note that the scanning teams are looking for non-US volunteers to proofread
>the scanns. Each volunteer gets 100 pages. They must have access to a box
>with perl and a C compiler to process the per-page error correcting code.
>You *don't* need a scanner.

A lot of work that could better be spent in other areas.

Why doesn't one of the many persons with access to the PGP 5.0 code already
in machine readable form just mail it to the group doing the scanning and
whatnot?

(Using remailers, obviously. And even making it look like a porno image
file. Whatever. Even easier: just put the source code CD-ROM in an envelope
and mail it to Norway. "Duh.")

This would shorten the process, and the Norwegian group could announce
"We're done!!!"

So, PGP employees, do it today.

(Or send me the source on CD-ROM.....)

--Tim May