Making _Real_ Money off a DES Break

Tim May tcmay at got.net
Tue Jun 24 11:40:59 PDT 1997

At 10:54 AM -0700 6/24/97, Adam Back wrote:
>Re comments that I should re-read the paper, here is what Wiener's
>paper says about estimated costs of a specialized DES key breaker:
>
> $100,000 for a machine to break DES in an average of  35 hrs
> $1 mil   for a machine to break DES in an average of 3.5 hrs
> $10 mil  for a machine to break DES in an average of  21 mins
>35 hours sounds a reasonable amount of time to break a Swift banking
>transfer key protecting trillions of dollars of funds.

Show me the money! A DES break that resulted in a loss of several tens of
millions of dollars, suitably publicized, would be both educational and
rewarding.

We often talk about the "threat model." But what's the _profit model_ for
breaking DES?

Can money be made by breaking a SWIFT transfer in approx. 35 hours?

(Personally, I doubt it. Between increasing use of 3DES and "time windows"
which are probably much shorter than tens of hours, I doubt a Wiener
machine would be of much use to a hacker.)

Of course, the payoffs could be huge. If the banking system is really
vulnerable to this sort of attack, then why has some private group not
financed the building of a Wiener machine? (I know many people who could
pay for such a machine out of "spare cash," if the profits/risks were
there; I'm not saying *I* would, of course, only that the amounts are not
so high. The cheapest of the listed machines above is comparable in price
to a Jaguar XK8.)

Is anyone publishing on this? Are the details of the SWIFT and similar
interbank transfer systems available anywhere?

(What kind of out-of-band checksums may exist? What kind of callback
systems? What window of opportunity exists if a single DES key is found? Is
it useful?)

--Tim May