A better DES challenge

Tom Weinstein tomw at netscape.com
Mon Jun 23 22:02:51 PDT 1997

Lucky Green wrote:

> At 06:15 PM 6/23/97 -0700, Mike Duvos wrote:
>> Really.  It appears that the DESCHALL frivolities actually
>> enhanced the reputation of DES, fluffy press releases by C2 and
>> Security Dynamics notwithstanding.
>
> Which is why I opposed a distributed crack ever since the crack was
> first proposed. But once the crack got underway, the only thing to do
> was to participate and hope it wouldn't take all that long. Stressing
> the individual that found the key over the group effort was the best
> thing that could be done in an already bad situation. Spin control is
> a fact of life.

IMHO, it would have been better to emphasize the group effort, and that
they could continue to crack keys at a rate of one every 30 days even
if the computing base didn't continue to grow.  Not to mention that they
could also be cracking 40-bit keys at a rate of about 2000 a day.

--
What is appropriate for the master is not appropriate| Tom Weinstein
for the novice.  You must understand Tao before      | tomw at netscape.com
transcending structure.  -- The Tao of Programming   |