Canarypunk: Jim Bell in a coalmine

Blanc blancw at cnw.com
Mon Jun 23 00:03:25 PDT 1997

At 02:38 PM 6/22/97 -0400, Robert Hettinga wrote:

>Admittedly, this is a distraction from the most important thing, which is
>writing code, but I bet that there are in fact cypherpunks-who-don't-code
>in Bell's neighborhood, and not necessarily even Friends of Jim, who would
>be happy to personally go see how Bell is doing and come back and tell us
>what happened. Think of it as part of the feedback loop for net.freedom. A
>trip into the coal mine with a canary cage.
>
>Yeah, I know. It's me making work for someone else. Nonetheless: Anyone out
>there want to do this?

I live about an hour's drive from Tacoma.   I'm not too enthused about
taking such a lengthy trip just to go see how Mr. Private Assassinations is
doing, but - taking after your own methods, Robert - I'd be glad to do it
in exchange for a trip to Anguilla next Feb.  :>)

(You know, it is true that having friends in times of stress, like when
you're sitting in jail, is good for the soul, but on the other hand one
must give credit to Jim for his having created his own situation.   He did
provoke the government types into suspicions about him and he must have
known that distributing his AP ideas,  containing such apparent potential
for being translated into reality, would make him a grand target.   When
you do things like that, you ought to consider what you're going to do when
"they" come after you.   He afterall is quite aware of the atmosphere in
which we live and how fragile is the relationship (if it can be called
that) which civilians have with the local military saviors which daily
protect us from ourselves.)

Having said that, I'll consider the possibility, if visitors are allowed on
weekends.   Perhaps several cpunks could go (if anyone else around here
interested? (Wei, Joel, I know you're just dying to go <g>)), if more than
one visitor at a time is allowed .

    ..
Blanc