The Global Fix is In

geeman at best.com geeman at best.com
Sun Jun 22 10:45:32 PDT 1997

I'm reading a book, "Who Will Tell the Truth" with some very clear insights
into
How it All Works.  The bottom line is the Bottom Line and the reason the
crypto
debate is going this way is due to exactly one thing: Money.

I know there are those amongst this readership who feel that there is no
place for the usual political process in dealing with the crypto issues, but
that's not a universal or a given, nor is it necessarily practical in the long
run.  But within the existing structure the missing component in the debate is
the active participation of a lot of dollars.

The weight of Micro$osft + Netscape + (name your favorite list) is
miniscule, and their players woefully inexperienced,
 compared to McDonnell D., G.E. Fed., TRW., Lock/Martin, IBM, and others who
stand to gain hugely from a Federally-mandated and controlled PKI.  Those
heavyweights are all drinking buddies with the  other Washington sorts who
are in search of
ever-expanding missions in life, and the result is a coterie who's primary
interest
isn't even remotely concerned with Child Pornography, Money Laundering, etc.
but their own aggrandizement measured in personal and corporate dollars.
There are no doubt
massive investments being made by Industry in the conservative thinktanks
who produce the
intellectual fodder-de-jour that supports the position of this elite, and
overwhelm the
likes of McCain and Kerrey with
impossible-for-the-legislature-to-understand managed
"information" which boils it all down to the 4 Horsemen arguments.

What's necessary here is a knowledgeable application of the same
techniques, a coalition
organization comprised of large business interests with an awareness of how
Bad this all is,
competing on the same turf.

Noble anarchist or Constitutional arguments, whining about our Rights and
such, are
insignificant and irrelevant to the players.

Who will belly up to the bar and provide leadership on terms that will
truly be effective?