[EFGA] WE won our court case!! (fwd)

Robert A. Costner pooh at efga.org
Fri Jun 20 20:42:22 PDT 1997

At 04:57 PM 6/20/97 -0700, Bill Stewart wrote:
>>From: "Robert A. Costner" <pooh at efga.org>
>>To: action at efga.org
>>Subject: [EFGA] WE won our court case!!
>>
>>EFGA was granted a preliminary injunction in our court case
>>against the state of Georgia.  Details and press release to follow.
>
>Yee-hah!  If you ignore CONgress, we've had a good week, between
>this court and the New York CDA courts doing the right thing
>and the DES crack finishing.
>
>>Let's meet somewhere tonight to celebrate!
>Obviously y'all should meet in the Atlanta Underground, wearing masks :-)
>(though I won't be there, since it's a bit far from the West Coast...)

I find messages like this to be interesting.  I assume that there is some
void in the souls of some that cannot be filled and they look elsewhere for
that spark that will bring them what they are looking for.  I regret that
when they look to me, they do not find it.  That I am not the answer does not
surprise me.  That anyone would think I might be the answer is what is
surprising.

What is EFGA?  It is an unfunded group of Georgia based internet users who
have an interest in privacy, free speech, and the free use of the internet.
For about six months or so, we grumbled about how bad things were.  Then, a
few of us got the idea that if only we tried to change something, we just
might do it.  Eighteen months later, we won a case in federal court against
the state of Georgia.

"Yee-ha"?  Is this meant to be a derisive comment?  No money.  No legal
training.  Not a lawyer to support us.  What were we to do?  We went to the
ACLU and they told us the case had no standing - they couldn't help us with
the Georgia law.  We got no better treatment from EFF.

This message was not sent to this list - cyberpunks or remailer operators.
It was only sent to an internal EFGA list of people who made a claim that
they wanted to find out more about EFGA.

Me?  I'm a software developer.  I don't work for EFGA.  I just founded the
group, and participate in it's running and policy.  No one works for EFGA.
As I said we are unfunded. We have no offices, we have no staff.

Obviously this is a victory for free speech.  This is grassroots activism.
This email message I see is not unusual.  Why do so many people who would
presumably be on the same side as EFGA and myself do what is apparently
trying to pick at us?

What is the difference between someone in EFGA and someone else on this list?
 If I can read the federal register when I get home from work and call up the
Social Security Administration and ask to speak on a panel they are having,
then anyone can.  If a group of people with no financial or legal resources
can call themselves EFGA and sue the state, then why can't someone else?

Yee-ha?  Meet in Underground Atlanta wearing masks?  What kind of comments
are these?  I spent gasoline, time, and three dollars for parking today to
meet with the CIO of Georgia to speak with him about PGP & encryption.  He
met with me because I called him on the phone and asked.  What are you saying
here?  Are you suggesting that change is wrong?  Are you, like others on this
list implying that you can't afford the three dollars or you just don't know
how to dial the phone?

I didn't post the original message here.  If you would like to trade insults,
I'll be happy to do so with you.  I'd rather just go up to D.C. on a cheap
flight and sit in a congressman's office for 45 minutes until a staffer can
speak with me.

Reasonable men adapt to match the world around them.  Unreasonable men try to
adapt the world to themselves.  Therefore, only unreasonable men bring about
change in the world.  I may be unreasonable, but I'm not pathetic.

  -- Robert Costner                  Phone: (770) 512-8746
     Electronic Frontiers Georgia    mailto:pooh at efga.org
     http://www.efga.org/            run PGP 5.0 for my public key