Senator Bryan on S. 909

Steve Schear azur at netcom.com
Fri Jun 20 14:32:00 PDT 1997

I just spoke with Andy Vermillye, Senator Bryan's staffer that handles the
encryption issue.

When I enquired regarding the Bryan's crypto views, Andy thought the
Senator's primary reason for voting in favor of the bill was his
Intelligence Committe briefings.  I gave him a very brief rant regarding
the Four Horseman and related my experience in dealing with intelligence
agencies (while at TRW), and why they shouldn't be trusted with laws which
so easily trample on our right to free speech. Andy admitted he was not
very knowledgable regarding crypto.

I told him I had spent considerable time and money in establishing First
ECache and that many of the bill's provisions, if left in their current
form, would prevent my company's function.  I said further that, Nevada and
the Senator are trying to attract high-tech industries to Nevada, but if
this bill passes I would be forced to move the business offshore instead of
creating high-paying Nevada jobs.

Andy said I was the only Nevada company to call regarding the bill, but
that a half dozen others (mostly large companies) all called in opposition.

--Steve

PGP mail preferred
Fingerprint: FE 90 1A 95 9D EA 8D 61  81 2E CC A9 A4 4A FB A9
Steve Schear              | tel: (702) 658-2654
CEO                       | fax: (702) 658-2673
First ECache Corporation  |
7075 West Gowan Road      |
Suite 2148                |
Las Vegas, NV 89129       | Internet: azur at netcom.com

        I know not what instruments others may use,
        but as for me, give me Ecache or give me debt.

        SHOW ME THE DIGITS!