96rock (96.1)--"The Home of Capital Punishment"

Anonymous nobody at REPLAY.COM
Fri Jun 20 05:06:52 PDT 1997

_The Atlanta Journal-Constitution_
6/20/97

"Contest Controversy: Radio Promotion Is Called Tasteless"
Miriam Longino, Staff Writer

Atlanta radio station 96rock is making waves with a contest that asks listeners to predict the year, month, day and time when convicted Oklahoma City bomber Timothy McVeigh will be executed. The winner gets a free trip to cover the event.

Rock Station WKLS-FM (96.1)--calling itself "The Home of Capital Punishment"--is running a 45-second spot 12 times a day to pitch the contest.

[snip]

...96rock promotions director, Pat Ervin, ...says he feels the station is "playing on the sentiment of the majority of the public." "We saw an opportunity," he says. "It's obvious that people are very passionate about this thing. So we decided to use a creative mechanism to tap into that."

[More follows]