Cypherpunks write code

Lucky Green shamrock at netcom.com
Fri Jun 20 01:07:41 PDT 1997

When I joined the Cypherpunks mailing list some years ago, few people even
considered a legislative fix to the crypto issue. After all, crypto-anarchy
is incompatible with the legislative process. Cypherpunks couldn't care
less what happens in DC. They are banning crypto? What else is new?

Cypherpunks know that governments do not like crypto. As crypto-anarchy
spreads, they will like it even less. The attempt to get governments to
sanction crypto is therefore futile. In the end, all non-GAK crypto will be
banned.

But who cares? Cypherpunks write code! We know that we need to get the
tools out. Deployment wins.

So let's not get hung up on the events in DC. Don't call your Senator.
Don't waste time reading "policy posts". Write code!

We have monumental tasks ahead of us. Anon remailers exist today. A way of
reliably receiving anon email will be deployed this year. Web anonymizers
that truly conceal your identity are in limited beta. Fully anonymous ecash
will be available soon. DC nets should be deployed early next year. [But
don't let this stop you from working  on DC nets. Modern designs only
double the message bandwidth. This is very reasonable. We need more
implementations].

There is much work still to be done. We need stego front ends for many of
these services. And credentials need to be implemened. A task that hasn't
even been touched yet.

Cypherpunks write code,

--Lucky Green <shamrock at netcom.com>
  PGP encrypted mail preferred.
  DES is dead! Please join in breaking RC5-56.
  http://rc5.distributed.net/