War has been Declared

Tim May tcmay at got.net
Thu Jun 19 21:54:56 PDT 1997

One of the reasons I've been so skeptical that legislative fixes will work
to protect our access to free and unfettered strong, unbreakable
cryptography is because I knew strong crypto *really would* do the things
McCain, Kerrey, Hollings, Freeh, Clinton, Reno, and all of those folks are
fretting about.

I mean, come on! This is what crypto anarchy is all about!

With it will of course come unbreakable communications channels for bank
robbers, terrorists, child pornographers, money launderers, and all the
rest of the bogeymen. How could it be otherwise?

Ditto for untraceable digital cash. Chaum may waffle on this issue, and
even say completely unfounded things about how maybe there will be ways to
separate "good" untraceable transaction capabilities from "bad" ones, but
we all know this is just shuck and jive.

Ditto for anonymous remailers. Ditto for data havens. Ditto for DC-Nets.
Ditto for all the good stuff.

We know it. Some of them know it. And claiming that this stuff won't happen
is disingenuous.

(Off point a bit. I was just looking at some of the analyses of the S.909
McCain-Kerrey language, the one that passed today, and was struck by how
_dangerous_ some of the analyses are. They critique M-K on some grounds of
flawed linkages between CAs and keys, and so on. Well, would the underlying
problems with M-K be fixed if these linkages were fixed? Not to me. The
only way to defeat M-K is to throw it out completely, not quibble on fine
points.)

Anyway, they're figuring out what we've known for several years, even
longer. And they're lashing out.

Pro-CODE never had a real chance. No legislature is going to pass a law
making crypto anarchy, black markets, and unfettered pornography a reality.

We have to discard concern for "politics" and refocus our efforts on our
original strength: monkeywrenching the system with technology.

--Tim May