Anonymous proxies & ITAR question (fwd)

Jim Choate ravage at EINSTEIN.ssz.com
Mon Jun 16 16:42:11 PDT 1997

Hi,

Forwarded message:

> From: "William H. Geiger III" <whgiii at amaranth.com>
> Date: Mon, 16 Jun 97 17:48:52 -0500
> Subject: Re: Anonymous proxies & ITAR question

> >>The renter of a car or truck is not responsible for the contents. The
> >>driver of a truck is
> >          ^^^^^^

The renter is not responsible until they take contractual possession of the
truck. From that point until placed on the companies property and the key is
placed in the lock-box hanging on the fence (or whatever system they use
where you live) it is the responsibility of the renter/driver/physical
possessor of the truck for its behaviour or contents.

> If I went and rented a truck and there was a "roach" in the ashtray I
> should not be held accountable for possesion unless it could be proved
> that it was mine and not from someone else that had used the truck or even
> a worker at the retal shop.
>
> Ofcource if I had the trailer loaded with 100K of coke it would be a
> little hard to say that someone else left it there. :)

Why should coke be treated any different than pot? How much pot should I be
able to put in such a truck and 'get away' with as a function of SOP? How
much coke?

No, ambiguity like this has no place in law. The litmus test should be
whether a person or their property were damaged without their prior
permission. Crimes should be a function of physical interaction and not some
qualitative or even quantitative test. If it is a crime to do 100 of them
then it should be a crime to do 1/10 (assuming it should be a crime in the
first place).

I can see it now,

"Sorry sir, we had to let him go. He only 1/4 raped her."

Blah.

   |        /:'///// ``::>/|/                     http:// www.ssz.com/  |
   |                                                 ravage at ssz.com     |