Impact of Netscape kernel hole

John Young jya at pipeline.com
Sun Jun 15 14:05:56 PDT 1997

Dave Smith wrote:

>I still have a copy of MCOM/Netscape Navigator 0.94 around... does the
>bug exist this far back, or am I going to have to start using Cello,
>or something equally obscure?

Dave suggests the key to Netscape's Andreesen's amazing trajectory
from lab rat gizmoid to market leader, while others languish uncompensated,
at least just yet.

It's Mark's changeable feature for peeking and tracking, approved by law for
orderly commerce. "Bugs bounty" is the make light of it charade, while
"bug" is the venerable hardware name.

Find the first few, sure, that's for easy diversion, find those somewhat
deeper, those're for sweeping by the seasoned pros. Then there are those
that are never found, the ones that always tell what's needed to know in
national emergency but can never be revealed.

Perhaps any day now MS and NSCP will morph to push browser GAK,
claiming that public privacy and secure commerce demand protection from
cyber-terrorists.

That's the theme, hey, hey, of the Denver meet of global leaders on
June 20. Could it be that that's what the Silicon chiefs went to DC to plan
last week while speechifying contrarily to CNN, C-SPAN and Declan.

Surely, though, bountifully trusty PGP is not party to this G-10 globalization
of crippled crypto, or at least not its Chief Technology Officer, right?

BTW, Declan's spin on national affairs is starting to smell of pontification
to the
masses, classis sign of "if only you knew what I've been let in on."
Shimomuraism,
that, empty data.