CORBA Security beta from IONA

Martin Janzen janzen at idacom.hp.com
Wed Jun 11 11:19:02 PDT 1997

I just received the latest "IonaSphere" newsletter from IONA, makers of
the Orbix Object Request Broker (ORB), and noticed this item which may
be of interest to some of the people on this list:

I28-B> IONA announces beta of CORBA Security Implementation
OrbixSecurity enables organizations to deploy their mission-critical
distributed systems on multiple platforms securely.  It is tightly
integrated with IONA's leading object request broker Orbix and facilitates
the creation of CORBA level 1 secure distributed component-based
applications.

In parallel with the development of OrbixSecurity, IONA is also working on
a secure socket layer (SSL v3.0) solution.  SSL will be bundled in the
company's Orbix/OTM enterprise suite of object development and management
tools, also scheduled for the third quarter.  SSL security offers
authentication (based on X.509 certificates) and encryption (based on
public and session key technologies).

Subsequent to the initial general availability of OrbixSecurity in the
third quarter of 1997, IONA will be working towards level 2 security
support (which deals mostly with the definition and administration of
security policies and domains) via product extensions and third party
integrations.

Availability
The OrbixSecurity beta is available immediately on the Sun Solaris and
Windows NT platforms.  To participate in the beta program send an e-mail
to beta at iona.com

For more information see http://www.iona.com/Press/PR/security.html

(Standard disclaimers: I don't work for these guys, get paid by them, etc...)

Martin Janzen           janzen at idacom.hp.com