Thoughtcrime (Re: My War) (fwd)

Ray Arachelian sunder at brainlink.com
Tue Jun 10 13:13:26 PDT 1997

On Mon, 9 Jun 1997, Igor Chudov @ home wrote:

> I do not see how I can be detected, modulo the security of anonymous
> remailers. Since my reputation will be based on PGP authentication, I
> will have an incentive not to cheat.

Three weaknesses in your scheme come to mind:

The bank could turn you in if you cash in the digicash (i.e. sting
operation would be to track a certain piece of digicash). So you'd have to
pass it on to others and not spend it.

Failing that, the LEA's would then try to blast your reputation by saying
they are Joe Dimebag and that they sent you money, but you ripped them
off.  They do this enogh times, your rep goes down the tubes and everyone
will fear sending you e$.  If not the LEA's then your competitors, etc.

Third hack into your scheme: someone with loads of digicash and loads of
time (LEA, who else?) could buy lots and lots from you.  Eventually a
physical pattern would show itself in your drop boxes.  If you ever reuse
a drop location, you could easily be nabbed.

As long as the goods you deliver are physical, the above are huge factors
and make it not worth your while to do.

.+.^.+.|  Ray Arachelian    | "Boy meets beer.  Boy drinks Beer,     |./|\.
..\|/..|sunder at sundernet.com|        Boy gets another beer!"         |/\|/\
../|\..| "A toast to Odin,  | For with those which eternal lie, with |.\|/.
.+.v.+.|God of screwdrivers"| strange aeons, even death may die.     |.....