NYT on German Net Police

John Young jya at pipeline.com
Fri Jun 6 09:39:24 PDT 1997

Robert Hettinga wrote:

>> Recall a previous report that Kohl and other heads of state are
>> to meet in Denver on June 20-22 to plan a global attack
>> on "cyber-terrorism," including the spread of encryption:
>>
>>    http://jya.com/denver.htm
>
>Wow. What an opportunity for street theater *that* might be...

Excellent suggestion, Agent Provocateur (AP) Bob.

There is surely a PR connection between the McVeigh trial and the
cyber-terrorism summit. That promo's crucial for the counterterrorism
juggernaut.

Now, what would be the cyber-version of street theater?

For examp, the security arrangements for the trial will be broadened,
and artfully leaked to the Denver-ensconced and equipped media, to
promote and protect the priceless Derrieres of State.

But what might cyber-terribles do to work-a-round the highly
classified meat protections?

Confidential commo is crucial to yarping pols and talking heads,
uplinks and unedited feeds are going to be zapping 'round the
globe. What liberating theatrics could be exhibited spoofing,
cracking, hacking, phreaking these urgent communiques to
ardent tax-henchers and sofa-ensconced tubers.

Denver's Judge Downes sent a missive in plaintext to IRS, a
spit in the bucket another Bob said. What about a bigger oyster
hawk at the lens and mikes of the leaders of the free worlds?

Do nothing illegal, for sure, just civilly disobedient.

(We'll put Downes's 17-age ruling up in a while.)