Password pirates plunder XXX sites, from The Netly News

Phillip M. Hallam-Baker hallam at ai.mit.edu
Thu Jun 5 10:20:18 PDT 1997

 >Although you can never completely eliminate it, technological fixes
to do
>velocity checking, source IP address profiling, etc., seem so obvious
>just don't see how this can be any sort of insurmountable problem...

Agreed but see bellow

>It should have been obvious from the start that you would have a lot
more
>people trying to steal service from a porn site than from, say, a
Disney
>site.

I think the problem is that a large number of the people who run porn
sites are neither technically sophisticated nor well funded. I suspect
that many do not know how to write a program and can't afford hiring
someone to do it for them.

Its a business where there are low barriers to entry and there are a
very large number of competitors. One way of discouraging new entrants
is to claim that there are major technical problems...

Phill