McVeigh

Ray Arachelian sunder at brainlink.com
Thu Jun 5 09:31:23 PDT 1997

On Wed, 4 Jun 1997, Paul Bradley wrote:

> Yes, he is guilty of murder and I would favour torturing him to death
> slowly, this is not emotional reactionism, merely a desire for justice
> and fair punishment.

You do not know for a fact if he is guilty of murder.  You only know that
he was judged guilty.  Whatever the truth is, you and I, and everyone else
discussing this, cannot know.  McVeigh himself knows if he did it.
Witnesses (if any) would also know.  This is all speculation.

If indeed he is guilty, it's a fair trade.  X number of lives for his own,
for his cause, etc.  IMHO justice is what you make of it.  Were you in any
way affected by his actions?  Did you lose relatives in that bombing?

Personally, I didn't.  I don't call for slow torture because to me, it
isn't justice or injustice.  I was not affected by his actions.  If he did
set off the bomb, life in death, or execution is a valid punishment.  I do
question your reasoning for calling for torture though.  How is that fair
punishment and justice?

.+.^.+.|  Ray Arachelian    | "Boy meets beer.  Boy drinks Beer,     |./|\.
..\|/..|sunder at sundernet.com|        Boy gets another beer!"         |/\|/\
../|\..| "A toast to Odin,  | For with those which eternal lie, with |.\|/.
.+.v.+.|God of screwdrivers"| strange aeons, even death may die.     |.....