Webpage picketing (fwd)

William H. Geiger III whgiii at amaranth.com
Wed Jun 4 19:44:29 PDT 1997

In <199706050148.UAA04173 at einstein.ssz.com>, on 06/04/97
   at 08:48 PM, Jim Choate <ravage at EINSTEIN.ssz.com> said:

>Hi,

I guess we will have to agree to disagree. If I am stoped even once that
is one time too many. In the real world if a group of picketers try to
impead my entrance to a store parking lot the growl of a 427 does alot to
convince them of the errors of their ways. :)

>> There is no real way you could picket on the "Info highway" as you have no
>> right to interfere with the packets traveling on the highway. You can
>> stand of to the side if you want but somehow I don't think that the
>> packets will be watching. :)

>If it is a fully privately funded highway, I agree. If it accepts public
>money I obviously disagree with you. As to the packets watching, no more
>so than the cars being used are watching the picketers. This is a straw
>man argument. The issue here is not the packets but the paticipants.

Yes and it is the participants who are sending the packets. If I am
sending packets between point A & B you have no right to interfere with
those transmisions. You donot have the right to re-route them or substute
them for others. If you have somthing to say put up a web page and if I am
interested I'll stop by and take a look. You don't have the right to force
me to look. To do so would be a serious perversion of the 1st Amendment.

- --
William H. Geiger III  http://www.amaranth.com/~whgiii

OS/2 PGP 2.6.3a at: http://www.amaranth.com/~whgiii/pgpmr2.html