Webpage picketing (fwd)

Declan McCullagh declan at pathfinder.com
Wed Jun 4 07:03:02 PDT 1997

I'm in NYC now and have to leave for work in a moment, so I'll keep
my response to Jim brief.

> In short it is a statement that it MIGHT be possible to use publicly
> funded network backbones to seriously impede communication using the
> system against itself.

Jim's fundamental misunderstanding below seems to be, as far as I can
tell, confusing public funding with public forums. Just because an entity
receives most, or all, of its funding from the state does not mean that
that entity or the service that entity provides becomes a public forum for
the purposes of First Amendment analysis. After all, many research
universities receive half their revenues from Federal grants but they do
not become public fora. I suppose part of the analysis in this case might
turn on whether the state is setting up such networks itself and "owning"
them or whether it's providing grants to a private entity.

> I am stating the status quo, the level of expectant privacy on a public
> street (internet) is in no way nearly as comprehensive as in your home
> (intranet). Should you doubt this, walk around your living room with the

Again, the Internet is not a public street. It is not owned by the public.
It is not a public forum, which is a term with a special legal meaning. It
is a privately-owned collection of networks. (Part of the problem here is
that we use "private" to mean both individually-owned and "expectation of
confidentiality or security.")

But I agree with Jim on the broader point, that we should question state
funding of network infrastructue.

-Declan