Webpage picketing

Bill Stewart stewarts at ix.netcom.com
Wed Jun 4 00:42:26 PDT 1997

Web page picketing is easy - there are a bunch of ways to do it,
with varying degrees of coverage.  Here are some examples:

0) Hijack DNS or routers - sorry, no points for this.

1) Convince people to use your system for web access -
easy if you're AOL or Prodigy, trying to provide a family-oriented service,
or <your company>'s firewall; you can replace URLs at playboy.com
with the "You can't access that site from here" page.

2) Convince people to use your software - Censorware Inc
can do the same kind of thing, as well as tell their mom.

3) Create a serious picket sign FAQ web page and put it out there
for people to find.  And post your FAQ to Usenet occasionally.

4) Create a picket sign web page that's more attractive to AltaVista
as your target's page.  That won't stop references to www.yourtarget.com,
but it will jump out at news reporters and casual browsers looking
for what yourtarget.com has on the web. You can do the usual comment lines
or small print at the bottom of the page
	<title>Boycott Yourtarget.com , makers of Evil_Product</title>
		yourtarget.com censored your mama and burned the flag.
		yourtarget.com yourtarget.com yourtarget.com yourtarget.com
		theirproduct theirotherproduct their_type_of_business
		keywords keywords more_stuff_from_their_pages </font>

5) Keep flaming them on Usenet, especially using lots of different
pseudonyms discussing it with each other, to fill up DejaNews.
	Alice:"Did you hear that yourtarget.com exploits its workers?"
	Bob:  "No, really, are those mothercensors doing that too?"
		You know the 666 in their logo is because the Illuminati own them?"
	Alice: "That's just a 'Help, I'm being held hostage' note
		snuck in by Vl.... D.tw..l.., who used to work for them.
		But they really do make their product from baby seal hides."
Obviously you need good sub-flame picketing so people don't killfile you
like they did with S..... Ar..., the Turkish flamebot.

6) Getting a newsgroup created just for criticizing them gets extra points.

7) Set up a Boycott Information Center web page or a Badder Business Bureau
and make it easy for people to post the Bad Things done by lots of Bad People.
In addition to your targets, you could prime it with other popular Bad People,
or just advertise it well, and make it easy to use, serious-looking,
and attractive to people of the political/economic persuasion you want
to reach as well as to the press.  Declan McCullagh wrote:
> 	Now, perhaps a market will develop for virtual pickets.
>	Businesses may flock to "online storefronts" that have certain rules
>	including the right to create "Heineken out of Burma!" pages that appear

8) Set up a Web Page Parodies Home Page, and make it easy for people to post
parodies of other web pages; add a zinging parody of your target.
Usenet being a moving parody of itself, it's a good place to create a
newsgroup
that you can also use to parody the target.

9) Usenet signature lines are cheap and easy - use them, and point to
your picket web pages from them.  If you can get people to copy yours,
even better.

You can think of more.....

#			Thanks;  Bill
# Bill Stewart, +1-415-442-2215 stewarts at ix.netcom.com
#   (If this is a mailing list or news, please Cc: me on replies.  Thanks.)