Who "invented" remailers?

Hallam-Baker hallam at ai.mit.edu
Tue Jun 3 22:02:19 PDT 1997

> >The point I was making was rather different, I think the total volume
> >of PGP mail of all types is probably not a large enough fraction of the
> >trafic on the net to be secure. Taking any use of PGP as prima facie
>
> ^^^^^^^^^^
> >evidence of subversive activity probably provides a reasonable cut.
>   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> If you mean as prosecutable offense, I don't think you fully understand the
> laws of the United States. Much as we like to criticize the U.S., and bad
> laws, and whatnot, there is no such thing as "prima facie evidence of
> subversive activity," at least not since the House Unamerican Activities
> Committee and Joe McCarthy.

I really can't get excited about US domestic policy. That is not where the
crypto is needed.

Eve so if you hypothesise the extent of surveillance such that mixmaster
remaillers are needed the constitution was thrown out long ago.

Now this happened under Hoover and the FBI still have their headquarters
named after him.

I'm having great difficulty making sense of the finely calibrated level of
paranoia which makes mixmaster both effective and necessary.

On the other hand it strikes me that if we could work out a better version
of Julf's pi.net remailer there would be a considerable benefit to the net.

	Phill