Ranting Anarchists Re: Who "invented" remailers?

Bill Stewart stewarts at ix.netcom.com
Tue Jun 3 21:35:10 PDT 1997

At 04:50 PM 6/3/97 -0700, Tim May wrote:
>And so this was very probably what Duncan meant when he said some of the
>ranting faction were the inventors of remailers.
>
>(Both Eric and Hugh are known to rant, or at least have done so at various
>times. Eric had some memorable rants at the 1995 CFP when he loudly
>declared to the National Research Council fact-finding committee, "I am a
>crypto anarchist.")
>I'm satisfied with my contributions, even if you think the ranters are
>doing nothing to help the causes you apparently support.

For an almost totally off-topic followup, there was a religious sect
in England in the mid-1600s called the "Ranters"; one of the books by
Quaker writer Robert Barclay is called "Anarchy of the Ranters"
(he was against them ...)

Here on Cypherpunks, we've got the "Ranting of the Anarchists" :-)

Another writer on the Net, who's more pro-Ranter, says that
> No evidence suggests that any Ranter ever took an interest in Islam.
> However, there exists some reason to believe in connections between
> Ranterism and piracy. A "Ranter's Bay" in Madagascar sheltered a
> pirate utopia later in the 17th century, and a number of Ranters were
> exiled to the Caribbean during the "Golden Age of Piracy" there.

Nothing new under the Sun...

#			Thanks;  Bill
# Bill Stewart, +1-415-442-2215 stewarts at ix.netcom.com
#   (If this is a mailing list or news, please Cc: me on replies.  Thanks.)