Comments on the Macintosh

Bill Frantz frantz at netcom.com
Mon Jun 2 23:01:29 PDT 1997

Vinnie wrote:
>Tim,.I am suprised to hear you whining with such a liberals voice..  I
>always thought that  demanding memory protection in an OS  is a lot like
>demanding that the government is responsible for protecting you from
>anything that might go bad.. If applications are well written, then you
>really dont need the memory partitions in a personal computer.

Hi Vinnie.  I'm with Tim on this one.  While I have strong feelings about
locking up people, I have no compunctions at all about locking up
program-instances.  If I can contain the instances, and especially keep
them limited in their file access, I can do a bunch to control viruses and
other nasties.  (BTW - Linux, like all Unixes is piss poor at limiting file
system access.)

Best Regards - Bill

Bill Frantz       | The Internet was designed  | Periwinkle -- Consulting
(408)356-8506     | to protect the free world  | 16345 Englewood Ave.
frantz at netcom.com | from hostile governments.  | Los Gatos, CA 95032, USA