Jim Bell 4

John Young jya at pipeline.com
Mon Jun 2 20:07:29 PDT 1997

I spoke briefly this afternoon with Kelly Miller, the
clerk of the district court handling Jim's case, and
Peter Avenia, the federal defender appointed to
represent him.

Not much news and no new documents have been
released.

Jim is still in jail and will remain until the grand jury
indicts or not -- within 30 days, I believe.

According to Avenia, the Magistrate Arnold decided
to hold Jim at a detention hearing a week ago Friday.
That  the magistrate chose to do so after hearing the
complaining agent's allegations of Jim's danger
to the public and even though a pre-trial services
report favored Jim's release. Avenia's offer to carefully
monitor Jim if he was released was declined.

Avenia would not disclose much beyond explaining
federal procedures, citing client confidentiality. However,
he said that during the hearing emphasis was given to
AP in assessing Jim's threat to the public.

Miller and Avenia were cordial. Here're telephone
numbers:

Kelly Miller: 1-253-593-6754

Peter Avenia: 1-253-593-6710