From Inter at ctive Week: Denning no longer backing key escrow?

John Young jya at pipeline.com
Mon Jun 2 19:58:15 PDT 1997

Professor Denning has an evolving statement of her position
on encryption policy, the latest dated May 26, 1997:

http://guru.cosc.georgetown.edu/~denning/crypto/position.html

Excerpts:

"I do not advocate domestic regulations mandating key
recovery. Neither do I advocate that cryptography necessarily
be free of all regulation, including export controls. I constantly
struggle with the issues and do not see easy answers."

"I support the program of the Clinton Administration to
liberalize export controls for key recovery products, to adopt
key recovery within federal agencies, and to promote the
voluntary use of key recovery technologies. I believe that
key recovery can be done without compromising privacy
and security, but acknowledge that there are also costs and
risks associated with key recovery."