Rotenberg as the Uber Enemy

Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM dlv at bwalk.dm.com
Sun Jun 1 14:17:44 PDT 1997

Kent Crispin <kent at songbird.com> writes:

> On Sat, May 31, 1997 at 04:20:55PM -0500, Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM wrote:
> > This law is unenforceable.  If you want to rent porn videos and you have
> > some brains (the two may be mutually exclusive...) you'd pay cash and
> > make the transaction totally anonymous.
> >
> > Should there also be a law against grocers keeping track of who's buying wh
>
> Brain fade, Dimitri.  Anybody who allowed anonymous rental of videos
> would be out of business shortly as their stock would never be
> returned.

Kent, you're a lying asshole.

It's been a while since I rented any videos (got better uses for my time),
but one used to be able to plonk down $50 cash, rent a video, bring it back
w/ bearer receipt, and get one's $50 back (minus the $1-2 for the rental)

If someone decides keep the used video, the cash deposit more than
covers the replacement.

I believe this mode of operation is still very common in NYC, where lots of
folks don't have credit cards, don't have permanent addresses, or don't
want their viewing habits known.

---

Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM