Denning backs away from GAK

Apache apache at bear.apana.org.au
Thu Jul 31 22:46:00 PDT 1997

   Declan McCullagh said:

>BTW, Will R did a piece a month or so ago on Denning's shifting stance.
>Maybe I should call her up and press her for details.

While your at it why not ask if she (see her post to this list dated 1
Sep 1996; and several EFF board members referred to in John Gilmores post
to this list on 2 Sep 1996) are still having problems with anonymity.

I didn't think she was a GAKer way back then so who knows which way the
wind is blowing her now.  Garfinkel refers to her long held belief that
controls on encryption were necessary so perhaps I am wrong and she was a
GAKer all along although her reference in her email of 1 Sep makes no
mention of it when she sought to distinguish her comments on anonymity
from the issue of encryption thus:

"Please note that this is not the same as the right to *private*
conversations and the use of encryption; this is the issue of being
accountable for what you publish in public."

Then again her comments appeared to be a slipery as an eel in terms of
meaning so who knows what the hell she means/meant/will mean at any
particular point in time.

   .////.   .//    Charles Senescall             apache at bear.apana.org.au
 o:::::::::///                                   apache at quux.apana.org.au
>::::::::::\\\     Finger me for PGP PUBKEY            Brisbane AUSTRALIA
   '\\\\\'   \\    Apache