Entrust Technologies's Solo - free download

William H. Geiger III whgiii at amaranth.com
Thu Jul 31 11:36:00 PDT 1997

In <01BC9D99.CD73D990.chrisd at loc201.tandem.com>, on 07/31/97
   at 10:09 AM, Chris DiBona <chrisd at loc201.tandem.com> said:

>This is all nice and good, but the question is who is Chris Lewis, what
>is  his connection to northern telecom, what the hell do you mean by
>forgery,  are you implying the technology that entrust has in it's secure
>kernal is  stolen? Keeping in mind that using public domain algorithms is
>not theft,  and also keeping in mind that they have a patent license from
>public key  partners, which allows them to use the "rsa" patents, and
>keeping in mind  that a fully featured certificate system is much more
>than just a  cryptography product. Is the law being broken here? Is there
>a breach of  ethics at Entrust?

>To restate.....what's wrong with what entrust is doing? Everyone has had
>such a good time talking about spamming and cancels, but I'm really
>interested in how Nortel is somehow committing a forgery.

>Also looking around the dejanews stuff about lewis, he seems to be a spam
> cancel freak yes, but no pedophile.

>Dimitri,   you seem to be a pretty smart guy...enlighten me on this whole
> thing. Do you mean that Nortel has a hand in the forging of spam
>cancels?  Or do you mean that they have a hand in forging software?

Well Dimitri has his own unique way of putting things. :)

This is my understanding of the issue that Dimitri has brought up:

- -- Chris Lewis is activly persuing a cource of censorship by forging &
canceling messages on USENET.

- -- Because of this activity Chris Lewis has low reputation capital.

- -- Nortel, by employing Chris Lewis, has reduced their reputation capital.

- -- Because of Nortel's reduced reputation capital their security products
are suspect.

Now, myself would require more information as to Chris Lewis' envolvement
with Nortel & their security products before I would be willing to come to
the same conclution that Dimitri has.

If Chris Lewis is only a janitor for Nortel I can not see how is
reputation capital would affect Nortel's. On the other hand if he was
activly involved with their security products or in a management position
where he could influance desisions about thier security products then I
would be apt to call into question just how secure their products were.

Of cource if they released thier source code then one could check for
themselfs the trustworthyness of their product.

- --
William H. Geiger III  http://www.amaranth.com/~whgiii

OS/2 PGP 2.6.3a at: http://www.amaranth.com/~whgiii/pgpmr2.html