Crypto Hooks

Ray Arachelian sunder at brainlink.com
Tue Jul 29 14:07:05 PDT 1997

On Tue, 29 Jul 1997, Tim May wrote:

> This is called "providing crypto hooks," at least in the many threads on
> this list and on Usenet where the details of this have been discussed.

I wonder what will happen with future operating systems that use the
everything is an object approact - where one can simply call ANY method in
an object...  (Sort of like OpenDOC, if it didn't die...) of course some
methods will be marked as private, but supposing that someone forgot to
mark a method as private... say somewhere in the core of the OS, right
before the TCP stack. <evil grin>

And suppose you could patch that code with code that uh, compresses, yeah,
that's the ticket, uh, compresses it with a very slow and shitty
compression algorithm that need, uh, a compression dictionary (key) to
decompress, yeah, that's the ticket. :)

And suppose everyone wrote their apps and operating systems to be
patchable in this way....

.+.^.+.|  Ray Arachelian    |Prying open my 3rd eye. So good to see you|./|\.
..\|/..|sunder at sundernet.com|once  again.   I thought you were hidinng.|/\|/\
<--*-->| ------------------ |And you thought that I had run away.      |\/|\/
../|\..| "A toast to Odin,  |Chasing the tail of dogma. I opened my eye|.\|/.
.+.v.+.|God of screwdrivers"|and there we were....                     |.....