NSA leak (fwd)

Secret Squirrel nobody at secret.squirrel.owl.de
Tue Jul 29 03:12:09 PDT 1997

Subject: Re: NSA leak (fwd)

From: h_tuttle at rigel.cyberpass.net

> Terawatts for a few microseconds is fairly standard technology, I
> believe.  Femtosecond laser pulses driven by *very* large capacitor
> banks...

I'm talking continuous generation - sustained for half an hour...

> > Terrestrial fusion is not a serious contender yet, and I doubt
> > it will be for a long time.
>
> It's easy to generate lots of power through fusion.  The problem is
> confinement.

I'm still talking continuous generation - we'll leave out the H-bombs.
And of course I agree confinement is a major problem.

Last I heard from the cutting edge (early '90s) you could get
2MW out of a fusion reactor, but that was less than you put in
to start it up.  That was using Deuterium, being gentle in order
to preserve the reactor.  Predictions were that using D-T would
break even.  Even that isn't anywhere near a commercial scale
generator.

You know of better results ?    There certainly are a number
of approaches, but I think I'd know if commercial fusion reactors
were working.

Are you ready to take this off-list ?