Eternity (was Re: CPAC, XtatiX, and the Censor-State)

Mike Duvos enoch at zipcon.net
Mon Jul 28 18:51:01 PDT 1997

Adam Back <aba at dcs.ex.ac.uk> writes:

 > You two must've been snoozing when I posted the Eternity
 > service announce back in April.  I implemented something
 > which does pretty much exactly what you're discussing.  I'll
 > include a repost below.

I skimmed it.  "Eternity" makes me think of caskets and people in
dark suits with expensive prices. :)

 > So beyond implementing it, which I've done a first cut of,
 > the next problem is getting people to use it, to advertise
 > it so that people know it exists, to get people to put lots
 > of "interesting" (= otherwise censored, so possibly pretty
 > interesting) materials on it, so that people find it
 > interesting to browse documents on it.

Hmmm.  I would certainly not want to be the only person running a
server when the "interesting" materials got posted.

 > Realtime uncensorable web courtesy of altavista :-)

I like it.

 > System requirements are:

 >   unix
 >   perl5
 >   news source (local news spool or access to nntp server)
 >   pgp (2.6.x)
 >   web space
 >   ability to install cgi-binaries
 >   ability to schedule cron jobs a plus but not essential

Hey - I've got all those things on my new Zipcon shell account
including 10 meg of disk and my own cgi-bin dir.

 > If someone wants to set one up to demo, and post the URL
 > that would be useful.

I'll see if I can get it to work.  Perhaps I can be Jim Bell's
cellmate if things don't work out.  :)

     enoch at zipcon.com   $    via Finger                       $
         {Free Cypherpunk Political Prisoner Jim Bell}