NSA cracker - how many TW

Harry Tuttle Remailer h_tuttle at rigel.cyberpass.net
Mon Jul 28 18:33:45 PDT 1997

On Mon, Jul 28, 1997 at 07:31:01PM -0000, Secret Squirrel wrote:

> IBM have published a communications scheme that claims to recover
> energy normally lost - it was on their website a few months ago.
> I skipped reading it at the time because it sounded dotty.

A few years ago an engineer at one of the weapons labs found
a new solution to Maxwells equations.  This was briefly
reported in the general press, and seemed to imply that the
solutions found allowed for soliton-like wave packets.

Some time later there were experiments reported using water
tanks with specially shaped wave generators that were trying
to create a water-wave analog.  The article describing these
experiments speculated, if I remember correctly, that
special antenna geometry and manipulation of the input
signal might be used to generate a electromagnetic wave
equivalent.  There was also brief speculation about uses for
such a device -- beamed energy packets, for communications,
or, at high power, for energy transfer.  Or weapons.

Anyone else remember this?