Thomases (Re: Yet another self-labeling system (do you remember -L18?))

Adam Back aba at dcs.ex.ac.uk
Mon Jul 28 12:52:20 PDT 1997

James Love <love at cptech.org> writes:
> Tim May <tcmay at got.net> writes:
> > Such as the multiple years in prison that each of the Thomases got?
>
>      I don't know the Thomases, but did they get "multiple years in
> prison" for mislabeling?  Or for something else?

The Thomases ran an adult BBS and video business in California.  The
fedz busted them by the following moves:

1. Fed stooge posts Thomases some kiddie porn video tapes
2. Fedz kick down the door 30 seconds later before Thomases even knew
   they'd received any mail
3. Fedz tried Thomases in some other state with strong puritanical
   tendencies
4. Fedz locked up Thomases and threw away the key.

Most people who hear the story immediately wonder why the child porn
peddling Fed stooge wasn't locked up rather than the entirely innocent
Thomases.

For details there is a good write up in Phrack.

Adam