"Who the hell are CNET?"

Declan McCullagh declan at vorlon.mit.edu
Thu Jul 24 16:22:20 PDT 1997

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 1997 16:04:16 -0700
From: Rose Aguilar <rosea at cnet.com>
To: "Phillip M. Hallam-Baker" <hallam at ai.mit.edu>
Cc: chris_barr at cnet.com, fight-censorship at vorlon.mit.edu
Subject: "Who the hell are CNET?"

For the company explanation go to:
http://www.cnet.com/Community/Welcome/About/profile.html

Here's my explanation:

CNET doesn't compare itself to Microsoft, IBM, or MCI.  Do you categorize a
"significant industry player" based on its household name and revenue status?

CNET has a variety of services...we have 10 Web sites and 4 TV shows...each
one has a different goal.

CNET doesn't "speak" for the whole Net community.  That's not our goal.
Our goal is to _provide_ the Net community with various services whether it
be reviews, news, TV shows, or commentaries, all of which focus on
technology and the Net.  That might not be significant to you Phil, but it
is to the million+ who use our services.

Netizens may not always agree with CNET's stories, reviews, or
commentaries...and we welcome opinions.  You know the saying: "Negative
feedback is better than no feedback."

Hope this answers your question.

--Rose

At 01:29 PM 7/24/97 -0400, Phillip M. Hallam-Baker wrote:
> I've been wondering for some time. Who the hell are CNET?
>
>I've never heard of them doing anything significant and I have not heard
>of them in relation to any significant industry player. They are not
>Microsoft, not IBM, not MCI.
>
>There is a problem, too many people the idea that they are speaking for
>the whole net community.  Too many people think that because they have
>made a paper fortune from the chumps who invest in the stock market that
>they are somehow important.
>
>        Phill

Rose Aguilar
CNET Radio Reporter/Producer