CDT's Berman Opposes Online Anonymity

Ulf Möller 3umoelle at informatik.uni-hamburg.de
Mon Jul 21 15:40:40 PDT 1997

----- Forwarded message from Jerry Berman -----

As you probably noticed, this letter was written in 1985 and represented
the position of the ACLU at that time. Times, and organizations, and
technology have changed dramatically in the last 12 years, and so has my
view on this issue.

I strongly believe both legal *and* technical protections are essential to
guarantee privacy rights (including the right to anonymity) and have
worked, with my associates at CDT and others on the Net, to promote the use
of strong ecnryption as a way to protect privacy.  I also continue to work
for  legal restrictions on electronic surveillance.

Please post this wherever you think this might clarify my position and the
debate.

Thanks,

Jerry Berman

----- End of forwarded message from Jerry Berman -----