Verisign gets export approval

Lucky Green shamrock at netcom.com
Thu Jul 17 10:21:31 PDT 1997

At 09:16 AM 7/17/97 -0700, Bill Frantz wrote:
>It seems to me that someone who has a one year export approved Verisign
>cert should use it to authenticate a new top-level CA cert which they pass
>to their customers.  Cut Verisign and their nosy/noisy partner out of the
>loop.

Only a valid VeriSign Global ID cert (an X.509 v3 cert with a special
extension) will activate the strong encryption in exportable browsers. This
is hardcoded into Navigator and Internet Explorer.

--Lucky Green <shamrock at netcom.com>
  PGP encrypted mail preferred.
  DES is dead! Please join in breaking RC5-56.
  http://rc5.distributed.net/