The Censorware Summit: A Preview, from The Netly News

Bill Frantz frantz at netcom.com
Thu Jul 17 00:28:23 PDT 1997

At 11:16 AM -0700 7/16/97, Declan McCullagh wrote:
>As for Lucky's point #2 -- Yes, I've read drafts of bills that would make
>it a Federal crime to misrate. --Declan
>
>On Wed, 16 Jul 1997, Lucky Green wrote:
>> 2) If the tags are not signed by a CA.
>> What is someone to prevent from labeling the NAMBLA monthly site,
>> "government authorized news site, suitable for all ages"? Just as the
>> various GAK proposals do not make sense unless GAK is mandatory, online
>> rating systems do not make sense unless "misslabeling" sites will become a
>> felony.

What does misrate mean.  My approach would be to rate everything of mine as
max-bad.  Is that misrating because some of what I say is suitable for
children?  It certainly would not help the people who are using the ratings
to find porn.

Bill Frantz       | The Internet was designed  | Periwinkle -- Consulting
(408)356-8506     | to protect the free world  | 16345 Englewood Ave.
frantz at netcom.com | from hostile governments.  | Los Gatos, CA 95032, USA