The Real Plan: Making the Net Safe for Censorship

Ross Wright rwright at adnetsol.com
Wed Jul 16 19:52:32 PDT 1997

On or About 16 Jul 97 at 18:12, Lizard wrote:

> At 04:47 PM 7/16/97 -0700, Ross Wright wrote:
> >Marc:
> >
> >What a bunch of crap!  Keep out of the internet, you government
> >flunky.  Let business, commerce and freedom of speech remain in
> >it's new home, Cyberspace.  And save your regulations for someone
> >who needs them.
>
> You will get a lot more respect on the net once you learn how to
> read messages. I'll leave it you to figure out what you got wrong.

Umm, I think I understood the message, and Mr. Rotenberg's
involvement in the politics of censorship, as it relates to the
Internet.

> Sheesh. And I retreated to mailing lists to get away from this kind
> of stuff on USENET.

What?  I just feel that there should be no laws or resolutions or
promises made or kept by the United States Government about the
internet.

On or About 16 Jul 97 at 14:42, Declan McCullagh wrote, about
something that Marc Rotenberg <rotenberg at epic.org> wrote:

>On the other hand, without a proper law,

See, when they say "without" that means they think we need one.

>parents can purchase and
>activate measures to protect their children from adult material and
>still not feel secure in their homes from unwanted material.

Ohhhh, so scary.  Not safe in the home!  Imagine that.

>This is
>because negligent publishing of data eventually allows material that
>can harm the child to enter the home.  Once this material is
>experienced by the child, its damage is done.  There is no "oops"
>factor, no way to undo the unwanted intrusion into a child's
>innocence.

Parental supervision?  What ever happened to that?

>Most importantly, any Internet law must not censor thought.  It may
>regulate the labeling on the packaging but never the content.

Most importantly, I don't want any Internet law.  ANY.  Just my
opinion.

>With the goal of achieving a greater spirit of cooperation between
>the publisher and the receiver of online data, we propose the Online
>Cooperative Publishing Act.

I don't want ANY Act.  Knock it off.   Keep out.  Stay away.  Save
your Acts for someone who needs them.

Ross

Ross Wright
King Media: Bulk Sales of Software Media and Duplication Services
http://www.slip.net/~cdr/kingmedia
Voice: (408) 259-2795