The Big Sellout

Brian Lane nexus at eskimo.com
Wed Jul 16 18:07:19 PDT 1997

Declan McCullagh wrote:

> I spoke to Netscape earlier today. The company previously had announced it
> would support PICS in a future version of Navigator. Now it's pledging to
> support PICS in the *next* version.
>
> -Declan

  I don't care if Netscape supports PICS or not, as long as I still have
the
freedom to turn that option off (and that it is preferrably not enabled
by
default, or indicates in an OBVIOUS way that it is active).

  This whole thing is a load of shit though. The government is
professing
to have control over thousands of private computers and networks. No one
has to put their kids on the net (IMHO the damn thing is a large waste
of
time, they should be reading books or building things instead), so it
must
be the parents decision to give them access -- It is therefore the
parents
responsibility to monitor their kids activities, not the governments and
not
everyone elses.

  My webpage will proudly remain unlabeled by any labeling standard.
Anyone got a good design for a 'No Lables, Never' sticker to add to our
pages?

  Brian

--
EET, Embedded Systems Programmer     PGP email OK     Linux Afficionado